Kingdom of Saudi Arabia

Location and Population

  1. Geography
    Saudi Arabia is the largest Arab Country of the Middle East, and is located in the South Western part of Asia. It is at the junction between Asia, Africa and the European continents. It is bordered by Jordan and Iraq on the north and northeast Kuwait, Qatar, Bahrain and the United Arab Emirates on the east Oman on the southeast and Yemen on the south. The Arabian Gulf lies to the northeast, and the Red Sea is on its west coast with approximately a 1760-kilometer long coastline, while its eastern coast on the Arabian Gulf is about 560 kilometers long.
    Because of its vast land area, Saudi geography is very diverse. The narrow western coastal region is parallel to a long mountain that gradually decreases toward the east to the Arabian Gulf where there is a low area called Al-Ahsa. The geographically hostile Rub al Khali ("Empty Quarter") desert, along with the country's imprecisely defined southern borders contain almost no life.

  2. Weather
    Saudi Arabia has a tropical climate. It is hot and dry in the summer, cold and dry in winter. Rainfall is scarce totaling not more than 6 inches annually, except in Assir area where it can reach 20 inches annually.

  3. Population
    According to the last Estimations of the General Statistics Department, the total population of Saudi residents was about 23,370,000 people in mid of 2002, with an annual yearly increase of 3.1%. Saudi nationals represent 74.2% of this total, and the remaining 25.8% represents non-Saudi. 72.6% of the Saudi population is under 30 years of age, while 45.2% are under 15 years.
    The total working manpower in 2002 was estimated at 3.66 million, of which Saudi National workers count for about 49.7%, the remaining 50.3% represents non-Saudi workers.
    0.9 Million workers are in the public sector, while the private sector employs 6.4 million workers. The percentage of Saudi nationals in the private sector is 44.9%, while the expatriate manpower forms about 55.1% of the workforce. Conversely, Saudi Nationals form 83.2% of the public manpower while expatriates account for only 16.8%.